Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Future of Print Media

1995ish - James Bernard L. - Washington Post f...Image by ClintJCL via Flickr

Seeing as it's past midnight, it's as good a time as any to curl up with a good book (see previous post) and head to bed. Of course, first I have to finish the requisite and perfunctory tasks: brushing teeth, washing face, and in this modern day, checking my email one last time. As I close my Gmail window, I decide to check out one more site: The New Yorker's website (as displayed so enthusiastically on the website roll to the right).

I glance at the major sections, but stop when I see an interesting blog on the state of the newspaper business. A brief article on the present and future of print media called "News You Can Lose," the New Yorker reports that the newspaper industry faces problems that are the result from a perfect storm: the combination of decreased readership and advertisements.

The demise of newspapers is nothing new, but considering the recent claim of bankruptcy by Tribune Company and the anticipated layoffs of hundreds of newspaper employees nationwide, I have to wonder what the role of the newspaper will be in the coming years.

Many men and women have already made the transition from print to online news sources, but there are still those who have held out-- whether for their favorite column or the daily crossword. So what should these traditionalists expect? My guess: an increase in cost and a decrease in selection. The most successful newspapers will probably still be relevant news sources in the future-- I'm thinking the New York Times, the Washington Post, etc.

But what will be the effects of such an oligopoly? Worse quality? More bias? A select range of opinions and ideas?

Maybe the future of the industry isn't as grim as I anticipate, but I'm not holding out. Back to my book-- something that I think will last a lot longer than the dailies.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment