Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Change of Heart?

Image representing Amazon Kindle as depicted i...Image via CrunchBase

In my previous posting on Amazon's Kindle, I put the e-library to the wayside and decided that it was a cheap (not in regard to price) and unauthentic way to read a book.

As of lately, I have had a change of heart.

Don't get me wrong: I still consider the Kindle a bastardization of literary works. But, I have come to the conclusion that, in addition to its promotion of reading, it also provides readers with a convenience that 800 page books cannot offer.

I do not think that the Kindle should replace newspapers or books for the ten minute Metro or busride to work. Please, enjoy and appreciate the real thing while you still can.

But after having talked to a friend the other day, I recognize that the Kindle is an excellent way to bring a bookshelf's worth of books with you on your extended travels. Like this friend, I plan to travel to Europe after graduation to teach English. Of course, how does a girl pack for a twelve-month visit? Clothes are an obvious necessity, but for an English major like myself, I have to decide whether or not to bring that extra pair of heels or my collection of Ayn Rand novels. What's a girl to do?!

She is to buy a Kindle. Considering that it would be impossible to ship all of my books across the Atlantic (at a reasonable price, that is), the Kindle is the best alternative to the real thing. Although pricey (and it is pricey), the amount of money spent on the digital library is far less than what it would cost to bring tens of dozens of books with me.

I realize that I'm settling for convenience here instead of quality. And believe me, I still think that the electronic versions of literary texts are disappointing. But, I would rather have books on a screen than no books at all.

Of course, I'm not ready to spend the $400 some dollars on the Kindle myself. Perhaps this would make a good graduation gift for me...
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment